Sunday, February 10, 2008

MMBA Expo

Today was the MMBA (MI Mtn Bike Assoc) expo today in Davisburg. Rouge Roastery was well represented with Trails-Edge brewing and giving away espresso shots of our Hammerin' Espresso Blend (Thanks, Mike!!). It was the perfect blend of outstanding coffee, great people, and covet-worthy bikes!

I was in heaven, as I sat next to a shiny red new Trek 9.9 carbon fiber bike. The thing was beautiful and it only weighed in at a hair under 22lbs. Let's put some perspective around that for those of you who not are giant bike geeks like me...

I ride a 1994 GT Karakoram with a rack on the back, shocks on the front, and slicks for riding on pavement (I use it commute)... this sucker weighs in at just over 30lbs (guessing about 31-32). My (almost) new hardtail Felt that I got last year, weighs in at 26lbs.
My Cannondale road bike from 2001, weighs in at about 20.
So, does 22 vs. 26 lbs really make that much difference when you ride it?

Oh yeah. This bike will be FAST and should be very aggressive up hills (combination of low weight and stiff frame translates into a lot of your power from your pedal stroke going straight into the back wheel).

Of course there is a downside. This shiny red, carbon fiber, dream machine was marked down to $3,995.00.

Ouch. But that's ok, I love my Felt and I'm not fast enough on a bike to justify a $4K carbon fiber frame anyway.

Besides, just down the isle a bit from that sat the Rocky Mountain stand (I'm a big fan of the Element series!)... One thing for sure, this expo sure made me want to get out ride. Wish it wasn't 1 degree out.

Big Dave!